I’m Brent. Big fan of the universe, our globe, its thin top layer with us humans in it: wow! Besides hiking, reading, cooking and bothering others, I’ve written some software (mostly Python, C++, some Java, even a few lines of Pascal). Of particular interest to me are free software and free access to information.
I’ve worked as a postdoc in radiotherapy, where I used Monte Carlo tools to estimate the in-vivo dose to every patient based on logged data, such as linac-logs and the CT of the day. Earlier, I defended a doctoral thesis in particle therapy, on the subject of prompt gammas for treatment verification. Here I developed and validated a variance reduction technique, which was implemented in Gate. I’ve got a master’s degree in particle physics, and within my thesis I worked on proton computed tomography.
As a member of various boards and student organisations, I’ve learned what makes a good team, and what we can accomplish united. I’ve had trainings on leadership and coaching, and have had the opportunity to apply these skills in practice. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time as treasurer, as secretary of an event with the top strategy consultants of the world and co-organizing a symposium featuring a Nobel prize winner.
Things I’ve done
- Professional and academic
Things I Like
- Music – r/mu-chill, r/mu-energy, Jaytech.
- Reading – apart from my news feeds, these blogs are always interesting: Strange Maps, Low Tech Magazine (Dutch) and of course Hackernews.
- Detecting and correcting fallacies, a full list can be found here.
- Gaming – see what I’ve been up to on my Steam profile, or here.
- Podcasts: Bad Voltage, OVT, Archos, Hardcore History, 99 percent invisible, In Our Time, Radio Doc, This American Life, and a full list here.
Books I’ve Read
Only keeping records since 2018, should’ve started much earlier!
- Cixin Liu: The Three-Body Problem (三體).
- Larry Niven: Ringworld.
- Emile Zola: De Kroeg (L’Assommoir).
- Bas van Loo: De Bourgondiërs.
- Herman Koch: Makkelijk leven.
- Jacques Meerman: Kleine geschiedenis van de Nederlandse keuken.
- Franz Kafka: De gedaanteverwisseling (Die Verwandlung).
- Ivan Toergenjev: Vaders en zonen (Отцы и дети).
- D.C. Monahan: The Navigator’s Treasure.
- Milo Anstadt: Polen, land, volk, cultuur.
- Kurt Vonnegut: Slachthuis vijf (Slaughterhouse-Five).
- Herman Koch: Het Diner.
- Femke Halsema: Pluche.
- Kim Stanley Robinson: Red Mars.
2017 and earlier (incomplete)
- Ursula K. Le Guin: Aardzee (Earthsea)
- Steven Saylor: Roma sub Rosa-series, Rome
- Ken Follett: Century-trilogy, World Without End
- Norman Davies: Vanished Kingdoms
- Lorenzo Carcaterra: Gangster
- Kader Abdolah: Het huis van de moskee
- Neil Postman: Amusing Ourselves to Death
- George Orwell: 1984
- Aldous Huxley: Brave New World
- John Wyndham: The Day of the Triffids
- Simon Clark: The Day of the Triffids
- Wim de Bie: Meneer Foppe over de rooie
- Michel Krielaars: Het brilletje van Tsjechov